Return to History
Much of the country that now comprises Dulkaninna was originally part of the Mundowdna run owned by Kidman interests. In 1896 the Department of Lands allotted part of this run - a 255 square mile block called Dulkaninna North East - to George William Barrett, who was George Bell's grandfather.
In 1902 an additional 73 square mile block known as Dulkaninna East was added to George Barrett's holding.
In 1915 Dulkaninna was sold out of the family to Sinclair and Scott and later to the Avon Downs Pastoral Company from Camooweal, Queensland. Because of severe and prolonged dry times the new lessees closed the place down and walked off it in 1920.
Dulkaninna was then unoccupied for 10 years until George Bell's father Dave Bell successfully applied for its re-allotment in 1930. In 1932 he took his family to the station from Adelaide and they have been there ever since.
In 1982 the Pastoral Board facilitated the addition to Dulkaninna of the 996 sq km Cooryanna block to the east that had formerly been part of Murnpeowie. This was to build up the size of the holding to its current 1,964 sq km.
Dulkaninna Trig Point
Government Surveyor Samuel Parry spent much of the years 1857 and 1858 surveying the northern Flinders Ranges for pastoral occupation, and extended the survey north beyond the line of the Mound Springs, into country never before seen by Europeans.
Cairns of this kind were built to serve as artificial land marks in featureless country, so that compass bearings could be taken to them from different directions as part of the triangulation process essential to accurate land surveys.
The Trig Point is more than thirty years older than Dulkaninna homestead, which is visible about 3km to the north.
The site consists of a tall pile of dry-laid dark stones about 2.5m in height, standing on a slight rise. It is a conspicuous landmark, visible for several kilometres on the flat plain.
Return to History