Return to History
In 1883 it was reported that Mr Bagot's survey party, on its way to Mungerannie to survey a railway line to Queensland, had found little or no water for his men and animals, and the waterhole at Dulkaninna almost dry.
The above is the first record of Mungerannie a supply store and rest area. Many maps of the time indicate Mungerannie Well and Hut being in place prior to this time period and so exactly when the site was established and by whom is now lost in history.
Richard Forbes Sullivan and his wife opened a store, eating house and hotel at Mungerannie in 1886 to supply shepherds, drovers, travelers and surrounding station people with most of their daily needs. He even put up a travelers' tent with several bunks for people to sleep in if they arrived during the night.
The Sullivan's ran the hotel until September 1889 when it was taken over by Robert Rowe.
In 1888, William Crombie, one of the regular travelers and mailman along the track took up a block near the store. Now he had a place to spell his horses and sell water for passing cattle from the just completed government bore drilled in 1900.
From 1891 the hotel was run by Grace Caroline Mary Samson providing also some female company for Susan Crombie wife of William.
After much lobbying by the Crombie family in particular the government finally opened an official school in 1915 at Mungerannie.
During the 1920s Mungerannie was the Head Office of the Great Northern League, which proposed the separate State of Brachina.
From the late 1890's onward the government began putting down bores along the track between Maree and Birdsville. Mungerannie slowly developed when the bore was put down in 1900.
By 1912 the small community consisted of a blacksmith shop, coaching stables, police station, store, eating house and the bore-keepers house.
The little community survived in one way or another until the next major drought in 1920.
Mungerannie store, and some of the small buildings, would continue off and on for the next 50 or so years.
Its' opening for legal alcohol sales would not happen until John Hammond and his wife Genevieve applied for a liquor license in 1989.
That is not to say the Mungerannie Hut and Well did not have alcohol for use by passing travelers prior to that time. It would seem that the idea of being licensed skipped the mind of the various owners over the years.
Droughts and floods persisted during the 30' and 40's during which time the mail contractors would stop off for well earned breaks. The most recognised would be E.G. Kruse during the 1950's.
1974 would become yet another starting point for the Mungerannie pub when Mary Oldfield began trading once again. The pub has traded continuously since.
Return to History